Pipes and pipe fragments are a very common archaeological find at the Lawson site in London, Ontario. Lawson is a 5 acre fortified Indigenous village that housed up to 35 longhouses and was inhabited ca. 1500. A piece of this large limestone pipe was found at ground level by an inmate from a local correctional institution who was clearing dead wood from the site in the early 1980s. Staff at the Museum of Ontario Archaeology were alerted and found the other pieces within a 2 metre radius of where the first piece was located. This pipe is currently on display in the museum’s main gallery. It is
believed to have broken late in its manufacture.