Built between 1855 and 1862 by the architect and sculptor René Dardel Gustave Bonnet at the request of the prefect Vaïsse, the Palais du Commerce is typical of the Second Empire. It was inaugurated in 1862 by Napoleon III. The building has a rich sculpted decoration dedicated to the economic and social life. The monumental achievements of Gustave Bonnet adorn the north and south facades. The Corbeille room is the highlight inside the building and is richly decorated with an ornate ceiling, an allegory of the City of Lyon. The four corner pavilions are organised around this room. The palace now houses the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Lyon.