This plan comes from a group of drawings and plans created by architects and engineers responsible for the design of Australian lighthouses and for associated infrastructure including the lights themselves, the residences of the lightkeepers, their store rooms and watch houses.
The first lighthouse structure in Australia was built on South Head in Sydney. Construction started in 1816 and it was completed in 1818 at the command of Governor Macquarie. Unfortunately it was built from poor-quality sandstone and soon began to deteriorate. A second tower, seen here in plan, was designed as a replica and opened in 1883.