The entrance reveals how still at the end of the 15th century it is possible to find works in Gothic style. The church was, in fact, consecrated in 1496. It then underwent a series of transformations in the course of time, starting from the decision to entrust it to The Order of Saint Jerome in 1499. The monks lived in the small convent next to it, with its beautiful cloister, still visible today. In 1797 the church was deconsecrated by the French. In 1887 the Army Corps of Engineers divided the interior into two floors. In 1899 the first floor was taken over by the municipal kindergarten Strozzi. The ground floor functioned as a varnishing workshop from 1942 to 1986. The whole complex underwent a skillful and complete restoration curated by the Amici del Palazzo Te, that today manage the ground floor. It has become a symbol of cultural renaissance of the city and of the rebirth of its impressive cultural heritage.