The Metropolitan Railway opened in 1863 as the world's first Underground railway. Originally, all trains were steam hauled and carriages such as this 'bogie' were pulled behind locomotives. Between 1906 and 1924, the stock was converted into electric-powered trains. This train has been restored to show the interior at different times during its operation. There is a second-class compartment from 1900 and a ladies only compartment from the 1930s. The remaining sections are typical of the appearance in the 1950s. The elaborate crest of the Metropolitan Railway is on the side of each carriage. It shows the coats of arms of the various areas the service ran to.