Shipyard model made at the Arsenal, Havana in Cuba, in around 1740. At a time when ships were not built using plans, shipyards used three-dimensional models to help them build the actual life-sized vessels. This model was probably used as a guide for building the ships the San Carlos, the San Luís and the San Fernando, all launched between 1765 and 1767 in Havana. This particular model has an interesting history – it was taken from Havana to Cartagena, and then on to El Ferrol. In 1808, an officer in Napoleon’s army carried it back to France. From there, after the First World War, it was taken to the United States. And then finally, in 1985, the New Bedford Whaling Museum donated it to Barcelona Maritime Museum.