Physical Dimensions: overall: 92.1 x 122.2 cm (36 1/4 x 48 1/8 in.)
framed: 111.1 x 143.2 x 9.5 cm (43 3/4 x 56 3/8 x 3 3/4 in.)
Provenance: Painted for William Moffatt [c. 1754/1755-1831], "The Limes," Mortlake. with William Bernard Cooke, the engraver, c. 1831-1838. Harriott, by 1838; (sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 23 June 1838, no. 111); bought by Allnutt. The Reverend Edward Thomas Daniell [1804-1842]; (sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 17 March 1843, no. 160); M.E. Creswick; sold 1851 to (Thos. Agnew & Sons, London); purchased 1851 by Samuel Ashton; by descent to Elizabeth Gair Ashton [Mrs. Hyde Ashton], Cheshire; by descent to Captain Ashton; sold 1920 jointly to (Thos. Agnew & Sons, London) and (Arthur J. Sulley & Co., London); sold 1920 to (M. Knoedler & Co., London and New York); sold 1 December 1920 to Andrew W. Mellon, Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.; deeded 28 December 1934 to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
 This is probably John Allnutt (1773-1863), a friend and patron of numerous artists, including Turner, John Constable, and Thomas Lawrence.
 Ashton lent the painting in 1857 to the exhibition in Manchester, _Art Treasures of the United Kingdom_, _Paintings by Modern Masters_, no. 256.
 She lent it to the exhibition, _Pictures and Drawings by J.M.W. Turner, R.A., and a Selection of Pictures by some of his Contemporaries_, Corporation of London Art Gallery, Guildhall, 1899, no. 23.