Dolls' house, baroque, pine, straight rectangular shape, manor house roof and facade with six doors that open.
Show lessRead more
Title: Nordiska museet's oldest dolls' house
Date Created: 1690/1710
Use: Oxie, Svedala, Sverige
Subject: Dolls’ Houses
Physical Dimensions: w95 x h205 x d45 cm
More Information: Nordiska museet's oldest dolls' house shows clear signs of late baroque interior concepts. Along the walls hang all sorts of kitchen utensils and containers needed by a large household: tubs, clay jugs, pots, graters, cups and baskets. Miniature objects from the earliest dolls' houses are often made with great craftsmanship.
The house has three floors, with a sparsely furnished drawing room, a magnificent kitchen with a large open fireplace on the middle floor and a storeroom on the ground floor. The roof shape is characteristic of the manor house, a type of property common to the Swedish gentry in the 1600s. The walls and ceiling in the drawing room are richly decorated with acanthus pictures and flower garlands. The decor in the kitchen consists of Dutch tiles, chequered marble floor and a large open fireplace for cooking and heating. A furniture-maker, pewterer and potter, each specialists in their own craft, contributed to the interiors, part of which came later. This dolls' house belonged to Katy af Petersens (1857-1939), who lived on Södra Lindved entailed estate in Skåne. Presumably, however, the dolls' house was passed down for generations among the noble families who lived on the estate. It is unclear who the first owner was and who made the dolls' house. However, it is similar to German and Dutch dolls' houses found among wealthy merchant families during the seventeenth century. They were mainly intended for teaching or looking at, not for playing.
Materials and Techniques: Pine, exterior painted grey (oil paint), dark-grey plinths, upper floor windows made of glass. Roof painted red depicting tiles. Hinges and locks.