This Baroque apotheosis
of the city, with image and text, was engraved by Nicolaus Visscher and
published by Jan Jansson in Amsterdam in 1660. The finished copperplate print,
more than two meters wide, was assembled from four large plates. City vistas of
this size are rare, and were hung on the wall like paintings.
The title of the
engraving, in large white letters on a black ground, occupies the upper part of
the picture. Below it is a view of Nuremberg from the south, along with a
description of the city in Latin and Dutch. At the center, above the triple
coat of arms, a portrait of Albrecht Dürer hovers within a framed medallion,
flanked by two putti blowing trumpets. As a testimony to his fame, his name,
"Albertus Durerus Nurenburgensus," is linked directly with his home
city, and his theory of proportions is represented below the putto on the left.
At left and right are what were then the known parts of the world – Asia and
Europe, Africa and the Americas. Inscriptions framed with scrollwork at the two
lower corners of the picture are filled with what were considered the city's
major craft exports, including brassware, instruments, shears, weapons and
toys. These goods were still lively sellers beyond the city limits after the
Thirty Years' War.