According to the legend, the order was founded by Pope Alexander VI in 1496. However, its establishment roots to the times of the first Bishop of JerusalemJames, who founded the «Guardians of the Holy Sepulcher» in 69 A. D. In 1815, King Louis XVIII of France declared the order as his award. After the Revolution of 1830,the chapterhouse of order was preserved in the monastery near Krakow for sometime, moving to Rome later. In 1847, due to the restoration of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, Pope Pius IX appointed him the head of the order.
Motto: DIEU LO VULT – «God wills it»