Alfred and John Bool photographed the building for the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London (SPROL). The galleried coaching inn was originally built in the 16th century and rebuilt following the Great Fire of 1666. It was still occupied when it was photographed for SPROL in 1875 but was under threat of demolition. It was pulled down three years later making way for a range of new houses.
Historic England Archive AL1827/002/01.