This small microscope (17-cm tall) has a type of tube that is common in this model, with a cylindrical top and conical base. The latter is screwed into the pillar, which itself sits on the front edge of a wooden box that acts as a base. The cuboid pillar has a rack system on its rear face, which is controlled with a screw to move the stage for focusing. The stage is round with 2 rings between which the slide is held. The stage also has a hole where the concave mirror is placed. The microscope is stored in a wooden case that closes with 2 hooks on its front. The name of the manufacturer is engraved on the pillar.
This microscope was widely reproduced and used by botanists during the 18th and 19th centuries as it was small and easy to transport. William Cary (1759–1825) was an Englishman who manufactured a wide range of scientific instruments.