The polychromed plaster sculpture depicts three Polish soldiers during the landing of the Allied Forces in Normandy in 1944. The wounded soldier in the middle is supported by his companions.
The piece was created by Maciej Piotrowski, a Polish soldier interned in Switzerland during World War II.
In 1940, the 2nd Rifle Division commanded by General B.Prugar-Ketling crossed the Swiss border. After the surrender of France, over 12,000 Polish soldiers, along with the French troops, were interned in Switzerland. The soldiers were located in different camps throughout the country and hired to do various jobs, such as construction of roads and bridges, or helping on farms, and in mines. In exchange, they were allowed to study at universities, attend secondary schools, and improve their professional qualifications.