The identity of this man with a letter in his hand against an open background is unknown. Due to the numerous commissions received from the wealthy Italian community - mainly Tuscan merchants and bankers - who lived in Bruges during that period, it could be a member of the Florentine colony, perhaps a member of the Portinari family. On arriving in Italy the panel was mentioned in the Corsini collection. Ceded to Hitler, it was exhibited in the Museum of Linz. It was among the artworks recovered by Rodolfo Siviero and was returned to Italy in 1950.