The portrait is attributed to Jan Tricius, who served three Polish monarchs: John Casimir Vasa, Michał Korybut Wiśniowiecki and John III Sobieski. He belonged to the most famous Polish painters of the 17th century. Information has survived that he made a journey around Europe and studied in the studios of Nicolas Poussin and Jacob Jordaens. In 1684 he was appointed the guardian of the pictures in the Wawel Castle in Cracow. However, there are still many unclear details both in his biography and in his artistic heritage.