In 1923, a political vertep (or Revolutionary Puppet Theater) appeared at the Mezhyhirya Art and Ceramic Technical School (which located on the territory of the Mezhyhirya monastery, where the Boychukists worked). The initiators were students and teachers of the school, among them was Pavlo Gorbenko. The artists of Mezhyhirya decided to combine their work with political propaganda, which was demanded by the Soviet authorities. The traditional Ukrainian vertep was radically redesigned. First of all, the sacred floor disappears in the vertep. In addition, puppets become full-fledged works of art, filled with a kind of artistic ideology. The puppets were created under the direction of sculptor Yevhen Sagaidachny, who gave them a characteristic features of boychukizm style. The pupprts had very large and generalized facial features. Negro sculpture was taken as a model for puppet heads, which allowed to create an extremely characteristic generalization.