Flinders Street and Queens Wharf are depicted in this painting, looking west from near Queen Street. Ships are docked at the wharf, and people and a horse and cart appear in the foreground. The scene is partly obscured by the grey-brown fog combining with smoke from the ship's stacks.
The painting was purchased by Sir Henry Brougham Loch (1827–1900), Governor of Victoria. Lord Loch took the painting with him when he left Victoria and it hung in his home in Suffolk for many years.