Established in 1936, North Fort is a remnant military complex at North Head Sanctuary in Manly. Strategically placed at the northern entrance to Sydney Harbour, the now-demilitarised fort formed part of a defence system that spanned 300km of coastline during World War II.
Until 1952, the North Fort Battery featured two 9.2 inch calibre guns. Serviced by a network of underground tunnels, each was capable of firing a distance of 26.4km. Target coordinates were relayed to these heavy weapons from an underground Plotting Room.