Physical Dimensions: overall: 68 x 90.2 cm (26 3/4 x 35 1/2 in.)
framed: 91.1 x 112.7 x 5.1 cm (35 7/8 x 44 3/8 x 2 in.)
Provenance: Caroline Anne, 4th marchioness of Ely [1856-1917, née Caroline Anne Caithness], Eversley Park, Winchmore Hill, London; (sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 3 August 1917, no. 43); (C. Huggins, London); sold 9 August 1917 to (Thos. Agnew & Sons, Ltd., London, and the dealer H.M. Clark); sold September 1919 to Gaston Neuman, Brussels. (sale, Frederik Muller & Co., Amsterdam, 30 November–6 December 1920, 1st day, no. 1024, bought in); (Frederik Muller & Co., Amsterdam), until at least 1922; possibly (Steinmeyer, Lucerne), in 1923; (Paul Cassirer & Co., Berlin), by 1924. Ignaz Petschek, Aussig (Ústí nad Labem), Czechoslovakia, by 1927; by inheritance to his son, Frank C. Petschek [d. 1963], Aussig (Ústí nad Labem), and New York; by inheritance to his daughters, Elisabeth de Picciotto, New York, and Maria Petschek Smith, Falls Church, Virginia; gift 1986 to NGA.
 Letter, 12 November 1952, Christie, Manson & Woods Ltd. to Frank Petschek, copy in NGA curatorial files.
 Many details of the provenance, in particular the specifics of Agnew’s ownership and sale of the painting, were researched by Alan Chong, and provided to Arthur Wheelock in letters from 1988 and 1990 (some undated), in NGA curatorial files.
 Muller lent the painting to exhibitions in 1921 and 1922.
 Steinmeyer’s possible ownership is cited in the files at the Rijksbureau voor Kunsthistorische Documentatie, The Hague; see their letter of 21 April 1951 to Frank Petschek, copy in NGA curatorial files.
 Cassirer lent the painting to a 1924 exhibition.
 The picture was removed from Czechoslovakia in, or shortly before, 1938 by Frank Petschek.