Tilbury Docks opened in 1886, alleviating congestion at the main London docks to the west. A new landing stage added in 1930 made Tilbury the centre of London's ocean passenger ship traffic. RMS Strathaird was an ocean liner and one of five sister ships known as 'The White Sisters' because of their colour scheme. She was launched in 1931 and sailed a regular route was between Tilbury and Brisbane, Australia. During the Second World War she served as a troop ship and was eventually scrapped in 1961.
Historic England Archive EAW014598.