Royal Albert Dock, in the foreground, was built in 1880 to handle new, large iron and steam vessels. Parallel to is King George V Dock, which opened in 1921. Together with the adjacent Queen Victoria Dock, the three formed the largest area of impounded dock water in the world. They closed in the 1980s. The area between the Royal Albert and King George V Docks was transformed into the runway and terminal for London City Airport.
Historic England Archive EPW032926.