An outstanding medieval religious building and believed to be connected with the stations of the pilgrimage for the Blood of Christ, the Rotonda of San Lorenzo was unearthed once more during the era of Canossa rule. In 1048, the mother of Matilda of Canossa, Beatrice di Lorena, decided to follow the advice of a blind mendicant, who showed her the spot where she should bring the precious relic to life once more. Although the exact date of construction is still a matter of some debate, it is safe to assume that the Rotonda was build in the 11th century. It fell into disuse during the time of Guglielmo Gonzaga and was gradually covered up by other buildings before it was rediscovered again in the 20th century. Despite numerous restorations, this splendid edifice stands slightly beneath the surrounding streets and piazzas. In addition to some interesting 12th century frescoes, the interior features a women's gallery and a semi-circular apse. With its purpose as a place of worship and building of historical interest restored, it is open to the public and looked after by the Association for Dominican Monuments.