El Lissitzky served as the chief designer for Russia’s pavilion at the 1928 International Press Exhibition in Cologne. Under the authority of Stalin’s government, he created a multi-room installation to illustrate the essential role of printers and publishers in the new Soviet state.
The installation included a variety of elements, including moving text-and-image bands, documentary displays, and large-scale sculptures that wrapped from floor to ceiling. A monumental photo-frieze depicting Soviet educational efforts since the Russian Revolution dominated the installation. This photograph portrays a portion of the installation.