This double decker sheep carrying van was built by Liluah Workshop of ER in 1929. The exact date from when these types of vans were put into service is not known. However, as far as information goes, in 1906 six sheep vans were put into services of East Indian Railway for bringing sheep and goats from Dinapore District of Bihar. From 1908 these sheep vans used to be fitted with vacuum brake system, the earlier ones had only piping connection. Previously no space was provided for the drivers and from 1908, a small space with one lower and one upper bunk was provided for them.
Due to the traditional docility of sheep, once they were herded into their cages, it permitted more economical methods of conveyance, without any overcrowding, they could be contained in double-decker vans. Sheep vans were introduced on the Bengal-Nagpur Railway in early 1890’s mainly for carrying of sheep from villages in the metropolitan city of Calcutta.
This 4 wheeler wooden bodied van is divided into four compartments in two tiers to carry a total of 176 sheep. The side are provided with iron bars and sunshades separately for each compartment. Each compartment is provided with a pipped water supply from tanks on roof. A separate compartment for attendants, which is in the centre has also been provided.