The painting, representing an Early Christian saint claimed as an ancestor by the powerful and important Borromeo family, probably was commissioned by Vitaliano Borromeo, 3rd Count of Arona. As part of Fausto and Giuseppe Bagatti Valsecchi's plan to renovate their Milanese mansion in the Renaissance style, it probably was purchased in time for the 1882 wedding of Giuseppe with Carolina Borromeo. First identified as a work of Vivarini by Morelli and Bode, it was Identified by Berenson as a work of Giovanni Bellini in 1894, an attribution that continues to be accepted, today. The painting was restored by Luigi Cavenaghi in about 1884, and again in 2006, and appeared in various international exhibits in the 1930s-1950s. As are all other objects in the museum, it still is displayed in its original place in the home, and thus contributes to the "authentic time capsule" ambiance. The museum collections include paintings by the Bellini brothers, Zenale, Giampietrino and others, sculptures, furnishings and furniture, majolica, glass, arms, armor, objets d'art in various media, wrought iron daily objects, scientific and musical instruments, tapestries and gilded metal objects.