This locomotive replaced the "Mastodon of the Giovi" train on the difficult Turin-Genoa route. Only one of these powerful engines was required to climb the steep slopes of the Ligurian Apennines. To lighten the train’s weight, the water car and the tender, which separates the motor from the carriages, were combined into a single unit. The tender contained a cabin for the engine and the coal was placed in a box on top of the boiler. In 1910 it was joined by the E 550 electric locomotive, and by the 1960s was no longer in use.