Vera Nedkova (1906–1996) was a central figure on the Modernist art scene. After studying at the Sofia State Academy of Arts, in 1924 she was admitted to the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna, from which she graduated in 1930, having majored in painting and restoration. After she returned to Bulgaria in 1934, Nedkova joined The Association of New Artists and participated in the exhibitions it organized. Her works formed part of the trend towards a new interest in Objective Reality.
After WWII, between 1946 and 1961, she worked as a restorer at The Sofia National Archeological Museum. In 1948, some of her works were presented at the Venice Biennale. After a long period of forced absence from the art scene, Nedkova’s work could be seen again in the 1960s. Today her works are considered classics of Modern Art in Bulgaria.