John Augustus Sutter established Sutter's Fort in 1839, where the City of Sacramento is now located. The fort deteriorated after 1848, when gold fever swept many of its inhabitants into the Sierra Nevada mountains seeking their fortunes. The Native Sons of the Golden West were influential in its reconstruction between 1891-1893. The Fort was eventually donated to the State of California, becoming a State Historic Park in 1947.
Identification Number: F3254:75 (1)