Created in 1776-77, the room had views of Warsaw by Bernardo Bellotto known as Canaletto fitted into its panelling. It served as an antechamber in which senators waited for audiences with the king. It has been commonly referred to as the Canaletto Room since the 1780s.
The paintings were composed to fit into their given places on the walls. The original arrangement was recreated in 1984 in the reconstructed Canaletto Room. This series of urban landscapes was a valuable iconographic source for rebuilding Warsaw after extensive damage it suffered during The Second World War. Two paintings will serve as an example.