The work was donated to Skagens Museum in November 1908 Skagen’s Tourist Association as the first painting in the new museum's collection. Later that year, the Tourist Association donated a further three paintings by Holger Drachmann to the museum and these four paintings formed the backbone of the museums’ collection. At the inauguration of the museum building in 1928, the collection had grown to 325 works of art. The artists also donated a lot of their own works to the museum, and hotel owner Degn Brøndum bequeathed his art collection to the museum, including Brøndum’s dining room.
The New Carlsberg Foundation was a generous giver in the museum’s first years, and again in the 1950s and the 1960s, the foundation donated a large amount of works to the museum.