This is one of two fragments of two separate wall paintings by Spinello Aretino now in the Walker Art Gallery’s collection. Both came from the Manetti Chapel in the Carmelite Church of Florence. The church was largely destroyed by fire in 1771, but the frescoes survived and were removed from the walls by Thomas Patch in 1771. The complete series illustrated the life of St John. In the second fragment, Salome is shown presenting the head of the martyred saint to King Herod. Patch made engravings of the six frescoes and of details of some of the figures, including Salome. Fresco painting was used for decorating Italian churches from the 13th century. The technique involves applying paint directly and quickly to wet plaster. The artist’s rapid brush strokes can easily be seen.