Built in 1893, The National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts and Culture was formerly the Humboldt Park Stable and Receptory building. It was designed by Chicago architectural firm Frommann & Jebsen, combining Queen Anne architecture with that of the Old German country house. The building became a Chicago Landmark in 2008, after undergoing exterior renovations since 1998 with the goal of repurposing the building for the community. Chicago’s Puerto Rican community founded the Institute of Puerto Rican Arts and Culture (IPRAC) in 2000, and it was open to the public in 2009. In 2012, IPRAC was named the latest of the City of Chicago’s Museums in the Park. The name was changed to The National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts and Culture in 2014, after the second floor was fully renovated, another gallery space was created, and administrative offices were added.