St Michael's was one of the largest medieval parish churches in England. It became a cathedral in 1918 and was severely damaged during a bombing raid in November 1940. Rather than rebuild the cathedral, a new cathedral was built on an adjacent site. Its foundation stone was laid on 23 March 1956 and was consecrated on 25 May 1962. The ruins remain consecrated ground.
Historic England Archive AA44/13737