Lviv. Late 19th century.
d 55 mm
Depicted in the middle of the seal are the city gates with three towers; the lion in the opening of the gates is walking to the right.
Legend: + S : CIVITATIS : LEMBURGENSIS (Seal of the City of Lviv).
The seal was used throughout 1359—1787. The brass mould from the collection of Lviv Historical Museum is based on the seal of the oldest known, no longer existing document of the City Chancellery of Lviv from 1359.
This item was received by Lviv Historical Museum from the former Lviv City Historical Museum in 1940.