In 1888, less than a year after opening the doors, Edison had a hundred men on the payroll and 60 projects on the books. He and his staff often worked late into the night. By 1904, the manager installed a time clock to help track workers' hours - including Edison's - and bill them to the right project. Edison often clocked in 80-100 hours a week. This time clock, one of at least two in the research lab was installed in 1912. The painted hands mark the last time Edison passed through the laboratory doors - when his body was removed from the library after lying in state, for his funeral on Oct. 21, 1931.