Street sign for Tischlerstrasse (Carpentry Street), 1939-1945. When World War Two broke out, Oświęcim was incorporated into the Third Reich. The town was renamed Auschwitz and Polish street names were replaced with German ones. This street sign was located at Stolarska Street, which was renamed Tischlerstrasse, meaning “Carpentry Street” in German. The street sign was found during the archeological excavation of the site of the Great Synagogue in 2004. It provides a clear look at how the invading Germans erased the pre-war identity of Oświęcim, and of its citizens. Collection of the Jewish Museum in Oświecim.