As one of the oldest units in the Topkapı Palace, the Tower of Justice has been extant since the reign Mehmed II (the Conqueror) (r. 1453-1481). The structure is referred to as “Kasr-ı Adl” in some sources. Located at the border of the Imperial Harem and Kubbealtı , the structure is representative of the “tower-pavillion” design style of the Ottoman palace and has undergone a series of changes in the course of history. In Melling’s engraving, the Tower of Justice, which was refurbished in the 17th and 18th centuries in timber, appears to have a square ground plan and a pyramidal spire. There is a row of small windows immediately below the spire.