In the past this work was attributed to Velazquez and later to Johann Liss. The first scholar to return to the Strozzi attribution was R. Longhi (1917). A canvas from the Modiano collection in Bologna should be regarded as one of the painter's variants of this composition. There are copies in the Beets collection in Amsterdam and a private collection in Paris.
Provenance: assumed to have been acquired by Jan Reinst in Venice in the 17th century and then to have been held in the Reinst collection in Amsterdam; in the collection of G.A.Brokar (Moscow) at the end of the 19th century; in the possession of his heirs after 1900; acquired by the Rumyantsev Museum from the collection of P.C.Giraud in 1922; in the Pushkin Museum since 1924.