Here lies one of the jewels of Old Lyon which is also a historical monument: the tubular gallery by the architect Philibert de l'Orme, built in 1536 when he was only 26 years old. To see it, take the ribbed vault alley and cross the courtyard with its well, of which only the canopy and blazon are original. In this courtyard, Philibert de l'Orme was commissioned by Antoine Bullioud to connect two buildings in an aesthetic style and representative of his client’s social position. De l'Orme had to join two separate buildings via a gallery but without encroaching on the rather small yard or demolishing the existing wells. Inspired by Roman monuments, he built a suspended tubular gallery.