At the mouth of the Leuvehaven, an octagonal pavilion is situated on the quay, built in 1890. It initially served as a payment office and training room for dockworkers. The boat workers called the café 'the point' of 'the lice loft'. Around 1906, the People's Union against Drinking Abuse established the alcohol-free coffee house 'Café Vollenhoven'. In the same year, tram line 3 was running along the route via Café Vollenhoven; this tram is clearly visible in the painting. In the foreground there are many steam tugs, including from the shipping company 'De Volharding', whose ships have a V on the funnel. At the far left you cannot yet see the 'Nieuwe Leuvebridge', half hidden behind the plumes of smoke from the tugs. The painting was made by Gilsoul from the balcony of the third floor of the (now disappeared) Victoria Hotel on the Willemsplein in Rotterdam. On the spot he made some sketches, which he elaborated into the final canvas in his studio in Paris. Dimensions op the painting (wxh): 200 x 120,2 cm.