This is a typical tramcar of the early part of the 20th century. It was delivered to West Ham Corporation Tramways and operated on the dense urban network around the docks between Stratford and Aldgate. These routes were replaced by trolleybus services in 1938. West Ham Corporation Tramways began operating in February 1904. It served the east London borough of West Ham (now Newham) before extending into neighbouring boroughs. From 1933, the operation of this tram was taken over by the London Passenger Transport Board. This brought the management and operation of all forms of transport together and was the beginning of London Transport.