Curraghmore near Portlaw, County Waterford, Ireland, is a historic house and estate and the seat of the Marquess of Waterford. The estate was part of the grant of land made to Sir Roger le Puher by Henry II in 1177 after the Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland.
Curraghmore House is the Beresford family estate that once covered 100,000 acres. Curraghmore near Waterford in South East Ireland, had stables for 100 horses and employed 600 people. The family were involved in hunting, to the extent that members of the family have been killed in a riding accident. Now surrounded by c.3,500 acres of formal gardens, woodland and grazing fields making this the largest private demesne in Ireland.
Group tours of the main reception rooms of Curraghmore House can be arranged by prior appointment.
The estate was owned by the la Poer family for over 500 years, during which time the family gained the titles Baron la Poer, and Viscount Decies and Earl of Tyrone. However, in 1704 the male line of the la Poers became extinct. The estate was inherited by Lady Catherine la Poer who married Sir Marcus Beresford in 1717.