Group of Dutch artists, mainly living in The Hague between 1870 and 1900. The name was first coined in 1875 by the critic Jacob van Santen Kolff (1848–96). The Hague school painters drew their inspiration from the flat polder landscape and the everyday lives of peasants and fishermen around The Hague and the nearby port of Scheveningen. The group covers two generations of painters, born roughly between 1820 and 1845. Their headquarters was the artists’ society Pulchri Studio. In the mid-1850s some of the younger painters, including the three brothers Jacob, Matthijs and Willem Maris from The Hague, and the Haarlem-based Paul Joseph Constantin Gabriël and Anton Mauve, laid the foundation for a new landscape art based on the close study of nature in the area around Oosterbeek, later styled the ‘Dutch Barbizon’. Jozef Israëls, who was still living in Amsterdam at the time, established himself as the leading artist in the depiction of fishing scenes in the early 1860s.