Warwick is the county town of Warwickshire, England. It lies near the River Avon, 11 miles south of Coventry and just west of Leamington Spa and Whitnash, with which it is contiguous. At the 2011 Census, the population was 31,345.
Signs of human activity date back to the Neolithic period, and constant habitation to the 6th century AD. Warwick was a Saxon burh in the 9th century, and Warwick Castle was established in 1068 during the Norman conquest of England. Warwick School claims to be the country's oldest boys' school. The earldom of Warwick, created in 1088, controlled the town in the Middle Ages and built town walls, of which Eastgate and Westgate survive. The castle grew into a stone fortress, then a country house. The Great Fire of Warwick in 1694 destroyed much of the medieval town. Warwick missed industrialisation in the 19th century, but has grown since 1801, when the population was 5,592.
Warwick Racecourse is located just west of the town centre. Adjacent to the racecourse is Racing Club Warwick F.C., founded in 1919.