Wembley is the principal town of the borough of Brent in north west London, England, about 8 miles west-northwest of Charing Cross. Wembley was formed a separate civil parish from 1894 and was incorporated as a municipal borough of Middlesex in 1937. In 1965, the area merged with the Municipal Borough of Willesden, which was separated by the River Brent, to create the London Borough of Brent, and has since formed part of Greater London.
The centre of Wembley was originally at the small village of "Wembly Green" accompanied by the Barley Mow public house in the 18th century. This survives today as The Green Man inn located on the steep Wembley Hill Road. The railways of the London and Birmingham Railway reached Wembley in the mid-19th century, the station originally called Sudbury and located to the south-west from the village - today it is known as Wembley Central in the heart of town - by the 1920s this part now known as High Road had become an important shopping centre and increasingly a suburb of London.
The estate of Wembley Park was used as pleasure grounds as the Metropolitan Railway reached this part in 1894.