Witley Court and Gardens, Worcestershire
The 2nd Earl of Dudley ran through his fortune. In 1920, the estate was sold to industrialist Sir Herbert Smith.
Although rich, Smith was much more frugal than his predecessor, and vastly reduced the number of staff to just half a dozen maids and a butler. He retreated to the south-west corner of the house, effectively abandoning the rest of Witley Court.
While it may be a shadow of its former self, the ruin of Witley Court is still a striking and evocative reminder of a lost period of luxury, and a caution on how easily things of value can be lost forever.
Luckily, through the care of English Heritage, visitors will be able to enjoy the majesty of Witley for many years to come.
Cameron Moffett, Rose Arkle