The Centro Cultural Banco do Brasil (CCBB BH), which is part of Praça da Liberdade Cultural Circuit, one of the tourists favourites destinations, the schedule is full of exhibitions, theatrical performances and music concerts. CCBB offers, as well, workshops and laboratories developed by the Educational Program, which tells not only the history of the capital but the history of the whole country. Since its opening, in august 2013, more than 2,5 million people have visited the building.
In 1926, the construction of the building that now hosts CCBB Belo Horizonte, in Praça da Liberdade, was initiated. Architect Luiz Signorelli, founder of the School of Architecture of the University of Minas Gerais, received the task of preparing a project for the headquarters of the General Office of Security and Public Assistance, which became extinct precisely on the inauguration day of the building: September 7, 1930.
Shortly afterwards, the headquarters of the General Office of the Interior, which had annexed the Security and Public Assistance Office, were converted into the General Command of the Revolutionary Force during the 1930 Revolution. Recently, the location was the seat of the General Office of Social Defense and the State’s General Prosecution Office.
Inaugurated on August 27, 2013, the Cultural Center is a result of a partnership between the Banco do Brasil and the Government of the State of Minas Gerais, and is part of the Praça da Liberdade Cultural Circuit, a complex of old public administration buildings that became spaces of culture arts, and leisure, in one of the most beautiful landmarks of the city.
Today, the CCBB has 1,200 m² of exhibition rooms, a theater that seats 264 people, a multiuse room that allows for several configurations of stage and orchestra, rooms for the educational program, two coffee shops, and one bookstore, in addition to the administrative area, totalling 8,000 m² open to the public, putting CCBB BH among the largest cultural spaces of the country.