Created in 1962, the Fundação Bienal de São Paulo is located in a pavilion designed by Oscar Niemeyer, greatly emblematic of Brazilian Modern architecture. The pavilion was created for the fourth centenary of São Paulo, which was celebrated in 1954 with the construction of Ibirapuera Park and its buildings.
The institution started organizing the Bienal de São Paulo exhibitions from its seventh edition, formerly an activity conceived and led by the Museu de Arte Moderna de São Paulo (MAM- SP). With the primary mission to present and discuss contemporary art through its events, the Foundation has become one of the most influential international institutions promoting Contemporary art, and its impact in visual arts in Brazil is wholly recognized. From its first edition, in 1951, the Bienal de São Paulo has presented 67,000 artworks by 14,000 artists from 160 countries. Until its 31st edition, the biennials have attracted about 8 million visitors.