Guildhall Art Gallery was first established in 1885 and is home to the City of London Corporation's art collection. The Victorian gallery was almost entirely destroyed by fire during a severe air raid of the Second World War in May 1941. Large parts of the collection survived, as they had been removed to underground storage outside London. While work was being carried out in the 1980s in order to re-open the Gallery, the remains of London's Roman Amphitheatre were discovered, and the building was re-designed to incorporate this astounding piece of architectural history. The new Guildhall Art Gallery opened to the public in August 1999 and the Amphitheatre in 2002.