Town museum Mariánské Lázně was founded in 1887. The impulse for the establishment of the museum was a "Call" published in local newspaper on 1st September 1887. The “Call” was turning to citizens of Mariánské Lázně with a request for donations of various characters (e.g. glass, porcelain, books, minerals, etc.). Later these items formed a significant part of the museum's collections.
Since 1953, the museum has been located in the oldest house in the historical part of the town, characterized by an Empire frontage. This is an important building dating back to the 19th century and it is the last preserved illustration of how the town looked in the time of its founding. The house was built in 1818 as a pension for spa guests, called “Zlatý hrozen” (“Golden bunch of grapes”). In 1823, Johann Wolfgang Goethe was a guest there. The owner of the house has managed to preserve its original rooms in which Goethe lived and she donated the museum small objects from the family collection reminding of Goethe's visit.
Apart from Goethe's rooms, in which Goethe stayed in 1823, visitors can see a collection dealing with the history of Mariánské Lázně and its surroundings and with the history of spas. The museum has a large collection of balneology or a variety of spa cups. Postcard collection contains more than 3,000 pieces of postcards relating to Mariánské Lázně from the time since the beginning of cards origin until now.
To the part history belongs its famous visitors, who helped to spread its fame in other European and non-European countries. In the museum, there is also a gallery of famous visitors, among which for example composer Johann Strauss, Shah of Persia Muzafer Eddin, the Austrian Emperor Franz Josef I. or the English King Edward VII are include. You can also see the reconstruction of King Edward’s VII. Room in which he lived during his visit of Mariánské Lázně in 1904.
The geological exhibition maps the region of Mariánské Lázně. In the exhibition is reflected the gradual geological development of the area and its diverse flora and fauna.
In 2011, "Goethe Gallery" started working that presents in the foyer of the museum significant works primarily from the field of fine arts and photography.
The open air "Geological Park" is situated on an area of almost 10 hectares, near the museum building and also contains various exhibition items.